The Wilson Times



Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:57 PM

Man dies from heart attack after being robbed

By Gina Childress | Times Staff Writer

Just more than three years later, police are still searching for the person or persons responsible for the robbery and subsequent death of 65-year-old Fawzi Nawas.

Nawas died when he suffered a heart attack after being robbed outside of the store operated by Joseph Nawas, his son, on March 3, 2008.

Nawas died on March 7, 2008.

On March 3, 2008, Nawas was outside of the Midway Market at 705 Black Creek Road. Around 9:44 p.m., officers were called to the scene because Nawas reported he had been robbed.

Investigators said Nawas was grabbed by an unknown assailant and robbed.

Nawas was transported to Wilson Medical Center for treatment of injuries he sustained during the robbery. Sometime later during that night,

Officials said he suffered a heart attack and died four days later.

The assailant fled from the scene with unknown items.

Police have released very little about the investigation but haven’t given up on finding the person or persons responsible.

Investigators say the case hasn’t been forgotten and it is still very much an active investigation. They said just because little information has been released doesn’t mean they aren’t continuing to follow up on leads in

an attempt to bring the person responsible to justice.

"We want to bring closure to the family and have whoever is responsible brought to justice,” said Detective Eric Kearney.

Officials encourage anyone who has information concerning the robbery to call Detective Eric Kearney at 234-7567 or Detective M. McKenzie at 399-2337, or leave an anonymous tip by calling

Crime Stoppers at 243-2255. In order to be eligible for any potential reward, callers will have to identify themselves.

gina@wilsontimes.com | 265-7821




©The Wilson Times, Wilson, North Carolina.
Terms and Conditions