The Wilson Times

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:47 PM

Murder update: Investigation includes Toisnot Reservoir

By Stephanie Creech | The Wilson Times

Corbett Avenue remains closed today as investigators with the Wilson County Sheriff's Office continue to trying to figure out who killed two people here.

The bodies of Charlene Jones Leake, 42, and John Henry Little, 61, were found in the front room of the house where Little lived at 3233 Corbett Ave.

There is a steady stream of officers' vehicles going back and forth to the crime scene.

Sgt. Wanda Samuel, sheriff's office spokeswoman, said Tuesday she doesn't know when the road will re-open.

Leake and Jones were discovered after a deputy went to the house Monday around noon. The deputy had been dispatched to the residence in regards to a missing person call placed to 911. Leake and Little have been described by sheriff's officials as acquaintances.

Samuel said they have not recovered a weapon. Investigators are still not saying what type of weapon was used in the crime. Samuel did say that they used K-9s at the beginning of the investigation on Monday.

She reiterated that people living in the neighborhood shouldn't be worried.

"In my opinion, they possibly knew the victims," Samuel said.

A check of North Carolina Department of Corrections records revealed that Leake has a criminal record stretching back into the 1990s. She was sentenced to 10 years in prison in October 2002 for felony cheat property/services charges stemming from 2000. She was released from custody in 2007, according to DOC records. Leake also has cheat property/services convictions in Johnston County and fraud convictions in Nash County, DOC records show.

Little was placed on probation in August 1999 for driving while license revoked, according to DOC records. The charge, which originated in Wilson County in November 1998, is a misdemeanor.



Deputies have now moved part of their search for evidence to the bridge on Corbett Avenue crossing Toisnot Reservoir.

They have attached a camera to the end of a line that is attached to what appears to be white PVC pipe.

Deputies are holding the pole over the water and moving it slowly while the camera is submerged in the water. Officers are watching a monitor inside of a patrol vehicle as they move the camera along.

The search of the water started around 12:30 p.m.

Toisnot Reservoir is one of the city of Wilson's three water sources.

Water from Lake Wilson flows to Toisnot Reservoir.



Shortly before 2 p.m., deputies launched a small boat on Toisnot Reservoir.

After selecting a spot in Toisnot Park, which runs along the banks of the reservoir, five officers picked up the boat and moved it from the trailer to the water. The boat has a small trolling motor. Paddles are also being used to maneuver the boat around the reservoir's shallow water.

Deputies spent several minutes before taking to the water trying to decide where to sit and how to position the equipment.

The boat made numerous passes back and forth under the bridge over Toisnot Reservoir before moving further out into the reservoir.

Thus far, no potential evidence in the case has apparently been recovered from the water.

©The Wilson Times, Wilson, North Carolina.
Terms and Conditions