A lovely night in Cyc Country

35-0 win over Rocky Mount dedicated to Trevathan

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


From the game’s first play of scrimmage, the air space over the field at Cyclone Country Stadium at Fike High belonged to the Cyclones in their 35-0 blitzkrieg of archrival Rocky Mount Senior High in the fifth game of the 1968 high school football season.

Cylones’ senior quarterback John Wooten found classmate Steve Windham on a 46-yard scoring pass play right after kickoff on Friday, Oct. 3, 1968. Wooten and backup George Wilkerson combined for 262 passing yards as Fike, on its way to its second straight North Carolina High School Athletic Association 4-A championship, climbed to 4-0 in Eastern 4-A Conference games and 4-1 overall.

“There was no doubt about it,” Fike head coach Henry Trevathan told Wilson Daily Times sports editor Cliff Turner. “Rocky Mount came here to play football. We got an early lead, but they fought back in the second quarter, and we hardly got our hands on the ball in that time.”

It didn’t seem to matter because the Cyclones already owned a 21-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. Wooten connected with junior running back Carlester Crumpler, who had shredded the Blackbirds a year earlier in Rocky Mount, on a 74-yard TD pass before senior fullback Zeke Church rammed eight yards for the third score of the quarter. Senior Earl Killebrew booted all three extra points.

Wooten ran in another TD from five yards in the third quarter and, with mostly reserves in the game by the fourth quarter, Wilkerson hit Robert Woodard with a 7-yard scoring toss. 

Wooten finished 6 of 11 for 206 yards while Wilkerson was an efficient 4 of 6 for 56 yards. Church ran 12 times for 79 yards and snared a 31-yard pass. Windham was Fike’s top receiver with three grabs for 92 yards.

The defense, which posted its second shutout, was led by Earl Killebrew, Stuart Walston, Albert Swain, Steve Coggins, Wayne Musselwhite and Len Lewis. However, the game ball went to Trevathan, who previously was an assistant coach at Rocky Mount, as determined by the Cyclones.

“We told Coach Trevathan that we were dedicating this game to him,” Windham said. “We’re glad that we could give it to him this way.”