Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The Wilson Community College Foundation held its 22nd annual scholarship awards ceremony Thursday with 116 students receiving more than $110,000 worth of scholarships ranging from $250 to $1,880.
“You cannot spend a more effective education dollar than at a community college to get people out, raising their quality of life and getting them into the workforce with opportunities that they never had before,” said WCC President Tim Wright. “Your generosity has made a great difference here today.”
Student Government Association President Andre Hilliard, a psychology major, said scholarships are very important toward a student’s tuition.
“With the price of tuition elevating constantly, any value of money will help,” Hilliard said. “Anything from $100 to $1,000 will serve as an assistant to any student, so on behalf of all students, as a student, I am pretty sure every student in here is happy. I want to thank everyone for their donations. There are no words that can express such appreciation for your donations.”
Hilliard urged all of the students “to continue to strive for greatness.”
Lisa Hunter, mother of Emilee Hunter, a Hunt High School graduate attending WCC when a traffic collision took her life in December 2014, said the scholarship ceremony is a wonderful thing to watch.
“She was a beautiful girl, full of life, ready for the future, but it just wasn’t God’s plan, so today we are presenting a ‘Do It For Emilee’ Scholarship in her memory,” Hunter said. “It is one of my favorite times of the year and it does this mama’s heart good to be able to deposit into somebody’s future in Emilee’s memory. All of us need to give back to our future generations. That’s what we are doing today.”
Keven Zepezauer, president and publisher of The Wilson Times, presented the annual WCC Faculty Person of the Year award to Stephanie Meadows, an accounting instructor.
Wright presented the annual Staff Person of the Year honor to Wes Hill, dean of business and applied technologies.
Scholarship and endowment recipients include the following:
• Alliance One — Thurayah Saleh.
• Alumni — Jasmine Woodard.
• Barnes Motor & Parts Co. — Tiera Jones.
• A. Douglas Batts Fire Protection — Nicholas Bishop.
• BB&T — Dominique Banes, Ashley Bohne, Donna Kiewert and Anita Smith.
• Bridgestone Americas — Anita Smith and Rachael Trautman.
• Anne Barnette Byrum — Daijere Damphie.
• Turner B. and Catherine E. Bunn — Cary K. Barnes, III, Ja’Monta Isler and Cameron Jernigan.
• Sheldon and Pat Campbell Teaching Scholarship — Rayvonna Arrington.
• Clara Campbell Nursing Scholarship — Amanda Hollis.
• Andrew Campbell Scholarship — Jared Haynes.
• Linamar Forging — Ashley Bohne.
• Dr. Charles Scarboro Cooke Nursing Scholarship — Melanie Ashby, Ashley Day, Joslyn Fuller and Kristen Jackson.
• DelMastro Family Scholarship Endowment — Shannon Armprester, Zachary Coble and Justin Rogers.
• Louise S. & S. Grady Deans — Pamela Jones.
• Robert E. Dew — Amania Robinson.
• Ben. F. Eagles — Tina Manning.
• Frank L. Eagles — Carla Damphie and Roberta Grimes.
• Dorothy D. Eagles — Kennedy Wiseman.
• Fred M. Eagles — Stacey Grimsley.
• Benji Edmundson — Antonio Peru.
• Harry A. Goodman — Allen Norman.
• A. Dwight and Winnie Johnson — Latrell Ruffin.
• Greater Wilson Rotary Club — Alberty Jones.
• Robert H. Hackney — Chelsea Lee.
• Hadie C. Horne Scholarship — Hannah Alston.
• Matthew “Chew” Lamm Scholarship — Cameron Jernigan.
• Steven R. Leder — Hailey Morgan.
• All American Kiwanis Club Scholarship — Joy Moore.
• Merck & Co. — Felicia Jones and Samantha Sawyer.
• Dorothy Parker Scholarship — Stacey Grimsley, Haley Trotto, Florisela Gutierez-Alcantar.
• Purdue Pharmaceuticals — Hannah Batchelor.
• R.J. Reynolds — Anastasia Fuller.
• Tollie C. Stephenson — Lakeisha Harris.
• Stephenson Millwork — Rachel Trautman.
• Mary T. Strickland — Megan Ford.
• SPC Mechanical — Kathy May.
• A.J. Walston, in memory of Peggy Mitchell Walston — Shantae Floyd, Jerell Gibson, Latoya Greene, Jared Haynes, Tina Manning, Tanner Moats, Thurayah Saleh, Magena Tipton and Kennedy Wiseman.
• A.J. Walston, in memory of Marjorie Watson — Holland-Ashley Barnes, Sarah Bryant, Nijasia Locus, Kitoria Mack, Je-Quonis Mangum, Landon Neely, Adel Sanchez, Joshua Speight and Zina Weston.
• Shane Weber — Shannon Leidy.
• Bobby and Myrtle Williamson — William Hughes and Tiera Jones.
• Wilson Rotary Club — Laurel Deiter.
• Wilson Medical Center — Florisela Gutierrez-Alcantar, Lindsey Klein, Evelyn Thompson, Edgar Tinajero, Sarah Wilson and Kimberly Batchelor.
• The Wilson Times Scholarship — Diamond Powell.
• Wilson Community College Foundation Scholars — Zyonna Anderson, Kaitlyn Davis and Omari Perez.
• Wilson Women’s Club/Callie Little — Megan Flythe.
• Dr. Charles Augustus Woodard — Tiesha Battle and Keayona Hawkins.
• Workforce Preparedness — Ashley Harrell.
• Dr. William B. Young — April Barrow, Tommy Medlin, Lakita Spady and Andrea Strawderman.
• T. Bruce Boyette/Masonic Lodge — Liliana Urieta.
• The Buchan Club — Bobby Stell.
• Canteen Food Service — Bianna Kelley and Caitlin Pinno.
• C. Buren and Peggy Williford-Ryan Bell, Cesar Gomez, Emanuel Ortiz and Julie Porter.
• DelMastro Scholarship — Angela Chavez.
• Evans MacTavish Agricraft — Bobbie Poole and Renato Romero.
• Thomas Lyndon HVAC Scholarship — Alfred Wilkins.
• M.L. Price Electrical Scholarship — William Huges.
• State Employees Credit Union — Lyndon Atkins and Erika Summerlin.
• UNICCO — Hamid El Messaoudi.
• Universal Leaf — Hamid El Messaoudi.
• VF Jeanswear — Nesreen Zayyad.
• Wells Fargo Technical Scholarship — Bria Ward.
• Wilson Wide Awake Kiwanis Club — Anna Windham.
• West Family Scholarship — Beverly Hoskins and Reginald Webb.
• #DoIt4Em Scholarship — Beverly Hoskins.
• Delta Kappa Gamma Omicron Chapter — Tomorrow Lodge.
• Merck High School Scholars — Kaitlyn Davis and Iyari Piedra.
• Cleve Cox Scholarship — Louis Sparks.
• WCC Administration Senate — Jomonte Sauls.
• James Fund Scholarship — Aisha Bilal.
• William H. and Lisa D. Shreve Scholarship — Hailey Morgan.
• Sandra and Rusty Stephens Scholarship — Angela Carico.
• The Edmundson Family Scholarship — Symonia Lynch.
Wilson Community College Foundation High School Scholarships went to the following:
• Beddingfield High School — Sandra Olmos.
• Fike High School — Tiffany Vick.
• Hunt High School — Shaniya Marshman.
• Beddingfield High School — Orlando Lopez.
• Fike High School — Ryan Clemmons.
• Hunt High School — Kaysie Seabright.
• National Honor Society — Kamar Hammad.