Many names, many faces play in Cyclones’ victory

Wilson Fike blasts Wilmington Hoggard, 26-0

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


The Fike High Cyclones finished the 1968 varsity football regular season with a glimpse of the 1969 season as Fike pounded Wilmington Hoggard 26-0, using a bevy of players up from the junior varsity squad.

Fike head coach Henry Trevathan played all 53 of his players who dressed in the game Oct. 7, 1968, at Cyclone Country Stadium as the Cyclones won for the seventh time in nine games on the way to the second of their three straight North Carolina High School Athletic Association 4-A title.

“Did you see the way they got fired up?” Trevathan asked Wilson Daily Times sports editor Cliff Turner after the game. “I was really thrilled to see those boys get in there and hit and play football. This does them good because they are gaining experience for future use.”

Fike got production from some familiar sources on offense as senior fullback Zeke Church had a team high 71 yards on 11 carries, including a 3-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. Junior tailback Carlester Crumpler added 54 yards on six carries and his 18-yard TD run put the Cyclones ahead 13-0 in the second quarter.

Senior quarterback John Wooten completed 2-of-3 passes for 23 yards and ran eight yards for Fike’s second TD, also in the second quarter.

Senior Kenny Pridgen also had a fumble recovery and nearly had his second TD in as many games but was stopped at the Vikings’ 5-yard line. Ricky Barnes, one of the aforementioned JV players, had a 10-yard pass interception and scored his first varsity touchdown on an 8-yard run in the third quarter.

Fike’s Wayne Musselwhite scooped up a Hoggard fumble in the first quarter and, after Fike gave it back, Larry Barnes picked off his eighth pass of the year, setting up Church’s TD. Sammy Amerson preserved the Cyclones’ second shutout of the season when he intercepted a Hoggard pass in the end zone in the final minute.

The Cyclones would begin their postseason journey the following Friday at High Point Central.