Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to The Wilson Times.
Re: “Condemning wrongdoing needn’t be partisan exercise,” by Dave Hager, Monday:
To reply, in brief, to Mr. Hager’s assertion that there has been, “only one eight-year period in the last few decades with no sexual abuse or other scandal,” you can’t be serious. For those independents who have also suffered from selective amnesia, here is a partial list of the highlights from the last administration.
1.State Department email where Mr. Obama’s secretary of state carried out official duties on a private email server to evade federal open-records laws.
2. Operation Fast and Furious, where Obama’s Department of Justice allowed thousands of guns to enter Mexico but lost track of them. One was use in the murder of a Border Patrol agent in 2010. Attorney General Eric Holder was held in contempt of Congress when he refused to turn over documents about the operation.
3. IRS abuses where Mr. Obama’s Internal Revenue Service targeted political opponents.
4. Benghazi, Libya, where Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others were killed in the attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound. Emails from Secretary of State Clinton later showed that she knew the attack was terrorism and not a reaction to a third-rate anti-Muslim film. She lied repeatedly to families of the slain that she would make the perpetrators pay.
5. Hacking of the Office of Personnel Management, which exposed the personnel files of millions of federal employees and may end up being used for everything from identity theft to blackmail and espionage. This occurred in spite of warnings that the system was vulnerable.
6. Veterans Affairs failures where veterans died while on a secret waiting list to conceal negligence and poor service. In a November 2016 press conference, the president acknowledged that “it was scandalous what happened”— though minutes earlier he boasted that “we will — knock on wood —leave this administration without significant scandal.”
Just a quick rundown of the “scandal-free” previous administration, but hey — no sex, so that’s good.