Police: Shooting suspect tried to kill estranged wife

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


Authorities have released more details in Tuesday’s shooting that left a Wilson man injured and another man behind bars following a high-speed chase that spanned two counties and multiple agencies.

Police say 41-year-old Kenneth Ray Jenkins of Macclesfield tried to kill his estranged wife and another man after he forced his way into her Atlantic Street home Tuesday morning.

Wilson police officers were dispatched to the 1600 block of Atlantic Street in reference to the shooting shortly before 11 a.m. As officers were responding to the scene, Jenkins fled, according to officials.

Police spoke with 32-year-old Nakita S. Proctor who told police that Jenkins, her estranged husband, forced his way into her home and started shooting in a room where 47-year-old Roger Barnes was at the time, according to Wilson Police Sgt. Steve Stroud. Jenkins also started shooting at Proctor as she tried to flee the home looking for help, Stroud said.

Barnes, who was struck in the arm during the shooting, was taken to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville for treatment, according to police.

Jenkins is currently in jail without bond. He faces two counts of attempted first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, possession of a firearm by a felon and violating a domestic violence protection order.


As Wilson police were investigating the shooting, Jenkins was allegedly involved in an Edgecombe County police chase.

Wilson County notified Edgecombe County dispatch that Jenkins was wanted in the Atlantic Street shooting, officials said.

That’s when Pinetops police Sgt. Lymon spotted Jenkins’ vehicle, a white van, on Bynum Farm Road in Pinetops, officials said. Lymon activated his blue lights and attempted to stop Jenkins, according to Pinetops Police Chief Stacy Harrell.

The chase continued down South Second Street in Pinetops where Harrell joined in the pursuit.

“Mr. Jenkins refused to stop for blue lights and siren,” Harrell said in a Tuesday news release. Harrell and Lymon continued the chase into Macclesfield where Edgecombe County sheriff’s deputies joined in as well.

The chase continued through Macclesfield, down N.C. 42 East and into the city of Wilson.

Jenkins was driving recklessly and running cars off the road, according to Harrell. Other agencies joined the pursuit, including the Wilson County Sheriff’s Office, Wilson Police Department and N.C. Highway Patrol. Jenkins eventually stopped his vehicle and got out at Holdens Cross Road in Wilson County, police said.

After a brief standoff, Jenkins was arrested. Harrell said a handgun was seized from Jenkins’ van. He was turned over to the Wilson Police Department.

Pinetops police also charged Jenkins in the incident. Those charges include felony fleeing or eluding arrest and traffic violations.

“The Wilson Police Department would like to thank our partnering agencies for assisting us in this case,” Stroud said.