Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
A Macclesfield man was charged with attempted murder and numerous other crimes following a shooting in Wilson and a high-speed chase involving multiple law enforcement agencies in Wilson and Edgecombe counties Tuesday.
Kenneth Ray Jenkins, 41, of Webbs Chapel Road, was taken into custody after a brief standoff on Holden’s Cross Road east of Wilson.
Wilson police charged Jenkins with possession of a firearm by a felon, felony domestic violence protective order violation, attempted first-degree murder, two counts of felony fleeing to elude arrest with a motor vehicle, misdemeanor failure to heed a blue light and siren and misdemeanor fictitious, canceled or revoked registration card or tag.
Jenkins also faces Pinetops Police Department charges of felony fleeing to elude arrest and traffic violations.
Wilson police were called to a home at 1610 Atlantic St. about 11 a.m. Tuesday to a report of shots fired.
According to a release from Pinetops Police Chief Stacy Harrell, Edgecombe County dispatch was notified by Wilson County in regard to a suspect wanted in the shooting.
Jenkins had been last seen driving a white van.
Pinetops police Sgt. Lymon located the vehicle on Bynum Farm Road in Pinetops and the officer activated his blue lights and attempted to stop Jenkins, who did not stop.
The pursuit continued down South Second Street in Pinetops and Chief Harrell joined the pursuit.
Jenkins was known to have a revoked driver’s license along with being the man sought by Wilson police.
Edgecombe County sheriff’s deputies joined the chase into Macclesfield, west on N.C. 42 and into the city of Wilson.
“Jenkins drove recklessly while speeding and running cars off the road,” Harrell said in the release.
Wilson County deputies, N.C. Highway Patrol troopers and Wilson police officers joined in the pursuit from a distance behind the law enforcement officers from Edgecombe County as Jenkins proceeded on U.S. 301 South and Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, ending up at Holden’s Cross Road, where Jenkins got out of his vehicle.
After a brief standoff with police, Jenkins was taken into custody without incident, according to the release from Harrell.
A handgun was found in the vehicle and seized as evidence.
Wilson police took custody of Jenkins following his arrest just after noon.
“The teamwork involved in an incident of this nature is paramount for success and this was reflected upon today,” Harrell said.
According to N.C. Department of Public Safety records, Jenkins has served multiple prison sentences going back to 1997. Convictions were for felony drug possession, carrying a concealed weapon, resisting officers, assault, reckless driving and assault on a female. Jenkins was convicted of sexual battery in 2007 and remains listed on the sex offender registry in North Carolina.
Jenkins was already scheduled to be in Wilson County District Court Sept. 17 on charges of domestic criminal trespass, misuse of the 911 system and three counts of misdemeanor communicating threats. Court dates for Tuesday’s offenses were not available.