The second half: A new contest

Cycs bounce back to whip Enloe 28-14

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


Fike High celebrated homecoming on Nov. 1, 1968, with a 28-14 varsity football win over visiting Enloe High of Raleigh that didn’t look so promising at halftime for the defending state 4-A champion Cyclones.

Fike watched the Eagles put together a first-quarter scoring drive for a 7-0 lead and then Enloe bottled up the Cyclones offense for the remainder of the half. 

“Enloe is always tough against Wilson,” Fike head coach Henry Trevathan told Wilson Daily Times sports editor Cliff Turner. “They blocked well and hit hard in the first half of play, and we couldn’t seem to stop them.”

However, that would all change in the third quarter with senior quarterback John Wooten directing the reversal. 

Wooten led Fike on three consecutive scoring drives in the 21-point outburst in the third quarter. He finished the first one with a 3-yard touchdown dive and senior Earl Killebrew’s extra-point kick tied the score at 7-7.

Junior Carlester Crumpler, who finished with a game-high 152 yards on 17 rushes, then cranked up Fike’s momentum with runs of 23 and 41 yards to set up a 6-yard TD pass from Wooten to classmate Steve Windham.

The Cyclones delivered the death blow to Enloe on their next drive when Wooten hit junior speedster Phil Lamm on a 72-yard scoring connection.

Fike’s lead grew to 28-7 in the fourth quarter on senior Kenny Pridgen’s blocked punt and recovery for a TD. The Eagles tacked on a TD in the final minute of the game.

Wooten completed 5-of-8 passes for 89 yards while Lamm had a breakout performance with 108 yards on four catches.

Larry Barnes picked off his seventh pass of the season while Stuart Walston and Sammy Amerson picked up Enloe fumbles.

Fike would close out the regular season with the following Friday by hosting Wilmington Hoggard in its Cyclone Country Stadium before embarking on its second straight playoff journey, leading to the state 4-A title again.